Friday, February 6, 2009

Grade 1 in Moose Jaw

I am beginning to see some of the ways we can use technology to enhance student learning. The grade 1 class in Moose Jaw are sharing a very simple concept of snow to countries who are not as fortunate as we are in having this white pile of stuff that falls from the sky. There are many fun activities that can be created using snow rather than sitting by the window wishing it would just melt. I believe that the grade one class would be motivated and enthusiastic in their learning process when they watch some of the activities they are doing on the computer. This activity would allow students to observe, assess and critique the learning process.
I had a question period in my grade 2 class to find out what they know about computers and all they talked about was games. I need to start taking small groups of students or a computer buddy system so that I can begin to develop some skills in technology. My interest in in learning about digital storytelling with my grade 2 class.
We also need some professional development for our staff so they will be comfortable in teaching some skills.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosalena,

    I see you are becoming a web 2.0 convert!

    I agree that childrens' learning will be enhanced by the tools we allow them to use or rather that we are allowed to show them how to use!

    Kathy Cassidy's Gr. 1 class is fortunate to have her for a teacher. In a web 2.o session on class blogging that I listened in on, she mentioned that the simpliest concepts become more interesting when viewed from the perspective of a child and tools allow for their insights to be given in a clear and concise manner.
    VoiceThreads seem to be a precurser to digital storytelling and are as much fun. Give your students a camera, upload the pixs and let them comment in their own words. You'll have a story preservable for all time.
    I'm thinking of doing this and saving it on a disk for each student to receive at the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete